Saturday, June 16, 2007

Weekend Shopping Adventures

So, for the past two weekends, my friends and I have been going shopping. It's the weekend, and the weather is nice and toasty. The mall provides free air-conditioning to cool down during summer. I have the best of intentions when I go shopping: to spend less money than my friends. I feel like I'm a pretty frugal person. I'm not particular about brand names or latest trends. I mean, c'mon, I'm sitting in front of the computer all day studying. Is my Perl programming going to be nicer to me if I came in wearing a Polo shirt instead of a Wal-mart brand shirt? None of the women at work are worthy dressing up either for because they are already taken.......and old(er).

Alas, I can resist anything except a good bargain. Last weekend, my friends and I went to shop at the Factory Outlet in Albertville. The goal of the trip was for one of my friends to pick out some presents for his trip back home to China. I was there to offer sound advice: Buy, buy, buy! What ended up happening was that I came home with a winter jacket from Nike and a hoodie from Guess. Guess! The one store whose fashion is usually everything I don't wear. Hmmmm.....maybe it's time for a wardrobe makeover.

Today, I needed an excuse to leave the house to pick out something for Father's day. I had really no idea what to get my dad. Mom's are usually easier. They are easily satisfied by shiny things, like diamonds and other jewellery. Men's accessories are far and few. The watch, the belt, and maybe an earring in one ear if you're phat. My friend got her dad the boxed set DVD of Planet Earth by the BBC. Her father and family are very antsy. They can't really stay still in their house. He spends his days sitting in the garage, reading National Geographic, and planning his next vacation. Anything travel related was a good gift idea. But my dad doesn't like to travel (that much).....and the books I buy him I end up reading myself anyway. He's got a watch, and a belt, and I doubt I can convince to get his ears pierced. Hmmmmmmm......conundrum.......

Well, I forgot one last accessory....the brief case. My dad isn't a travelling salesman, so that ruled 90% of the brief case population. I didn't want to get him a bag that made him seem like he'll be walking door to door, selling can-openers. No, it has to something casual, yet sophisticated. Something an engineer would carry. The Mall of America (MOA) provides is an abundant terrain for gift hunting. All I had to was to wade through the jungle and find my prey. I found my prey inside Wilson's Leather. A leather messenger bag. Casual sophistication.....ka-ching! So there's goes my paycheck. Sigh. I really should return the Kingdom Hearts II game I bought for myself. But its price seems so inconsequential to the bag I got for my dad. Naaaahhhh, I think I'll keep it =0)

So after two rounds of weekend shopping. It's me in the lead with a grand total of $200, Cheng with $120, and Yezi with $65. Yay! I'm winning!

1 comment:

yezi xue said...

Haha, should we make this into a weekly thing? You could keep on winning....

Antsy is a good way to describe my family. The part about my dad in the garage was so funny! Funny, but also true.