Tuesday, March 06, 2007

For the love of learning

Big money from liberal arts?

A liberal arts degree may be the ticket to a high paying job . If a liberal arts major can earn $100,000 a year......then count me in!!!! I do have to disagree on the point that "a degree in the liberal arts, some might say, is an education undertaken purely for the love of learning." You think IT degrees aren't taken for love of learning? Then people have never met my roommate...... If economic returns is all IT people cared about on their college education, then we should all become doctors or lawyers, or even business majors because they make a lot more than engineers. Seriously, sometimes the challenge of becoming an engineer is enough motivation to do it. My counselor once asked me: "Why are you studying computer engineering?". As a sophmore who had little idea of his direction in life, I answered: "Because it pays the bills...." Now after 3 years of work, I've come to realize there are lots of ways to pay the bills, but the true satisfaction that I will take away from my college experience is that I accomplished something that I didn't think I could.....

Robert Louis Stevenson said it best: "We must accept life for what it actually is - a challenge to our quality without which we should never know of what stuff we are made, or grow to our full stature."

No comments: